Depression isn’t just feeling “down in the dumps” or sad. Depression is a severe mental illness that has damaging effects on the individual and their loved ones. If you think you are experiencing depression, it is crucial that you find a depression treatment program as soon as possible. While getting help and support found in a depression treatment program will help you restore your well-being, you may ask yourself if those programs are beneficial or need treatment.
This article will dive deeper into what depression is and the signs of depression. You will also know how where to find depression treatment centers near New Jersey. If you are struggling with depression, now is the time to act. If you need depression treatment near New Jersey, call Water Gap Wellness toll-free right now.
What is Depression?
Simply defined, depression is a mood disorder where people experience profound low periods for extended periods. Depression severely affects people’s quality of life and affects their ability to function on a daily basis. Not only does depression affect the sufferer, but their family, friends, co-workers, and others also feel its heavy burden. Depression goes beyond feeling sad; it is a deeper sense of sadness that can hang like a black cloud for weeks, months, and even years.
People can develop different types of depression, and each type has its own unique characteristics. These include the following:
- Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia): a prolonged depressed mood that lasts at least two years. People with this form of depression will cycle through episodes of severe depression along with times of mild depression.
- Psychotic Depression: occurs when someone has severe depression that features some forms of psychosis. Examples include delusions, hallucinations, and fixating on a particular theme, such as guilt and illness.
- Bipolar Disorder: a condition where people cycle through stages of depression and mania (extreme euphoria). Some people cycle through both moods quickly, while others may be slower.
- Postpartum Depression: Women with this condition will experience full-on depression that is more than the “baby blues.” They will feel extreme sadness and anxiety after giving birth, and those feeling significantly negatively impact their ability to care for their newborn or to function on a daily basis.
What are the Signs of Depression?
The signs of depression may not be seen right away or be readily seen. In order to be properly diagnosed with depression, its signs and symptoms must be present for at least two weeks. The following are common signs of depression as outlined by the National Institute on Mental Health (NIMH):
- Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood
- Feelings of hopelessness, or pessimism
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
- Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
- Difficulty sleeping, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
- Appetite or weight changes
- Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts
- Aches or pains, headaches, or other body issues without an underlying cause
If you are experiencing any combination of the above symptoms, you should seek immediate help from a New Jersey-area mental health treatment center.
When to Seek Help for Depression
If you sense that your feelings of sadness are something more than normal, you need to consider finding professional and specialized help through depression treatment in New Jersey. A general rule of thumb is if you are experiencing profound feelings of sadness and loss for more than two weeks. You also should seek help from depression treatment centers near New Jersey if your depression is severely impacting your work, home, and school life. Other red flags that signal that you need to seek treatment from New Jersey depression treatment centers include the following:
- You feel hopeless and helpless
- You feel that you are beyond being helped by treatment
- You begin to feel that life isn’t worth living anymore
- You distance yourself from family and loved ones
- You stop doing the activities that you once enjoyed
- You are thinking suicidal thoughts or wanting to kill yourself
Are There Depression Treatment Centers Near New Jersey?
If you are in the New Jersey area and need depression treatment, you would be comforted to know these programs exist and help countless people find peace and happiness. Water Gap Wellness is a pre-eminent depression treatment center in the Tri-State area. We offer a wide array of evidence-based programs and services that effectively addresses the complexities of mental illnesses such as depression. Our treatment staff will create a program specifically tailored for you, and you will get the tools and support you need to manage and win your battle against depression.