Depression and mental well-being go hand in hand. If you struggle with depression, it can impact your mental health and disrupt many other areas of your life. How does depression impact wellness? What treatment options are there? Water Gap Wellness Center can answer these questions and more.
What Are the Symptoms of Depression?
Depression can impact mood, cognition, behavior, sleep, and health. For example:
- Depression can lead to hopelessness, apathy, anxiety, mood swings, losing interest in things you once loved, and even guilt.
- It can cause issues with excess sleeping, insomnia, or restless sleep.
- Depression can result in excessive hunger, no appetite, restlessness, fatigue, and repeatedly getting stuck on the same thoughts.
- It can cause irritability, excessive crying, and social isolation.
- Depression can make it difficult to concentrate and slow down your brain functions too.
Depression and mental well-being are interrelated. Without proper mental well-being, you run an increased risk of depression, and with depression and mental wellness issues, you need professional treatment.
How Can Depression Disrupt a Person’s Life?
Depression can impact your life in many ways.
Negative Automatic Thoughts
Untreated depression and mental wellness can lead to issues of negative automatic thoughts. These can take the form of perfectionism, low self-esteem, labeling, and mind reading.
With things like mind reading, you might get called into your boss’s office at the end of the day. You decide that you already know he’s going to fire you based on no information other than your anxiety and low self-esteem. These thoughts cause you to feel physically ill, sick to your stomach, and anxious. So when you finally meet with your boss at the end of the day, you walk into his office nervous, apologetic, and possibly angry.
But with the right treatment, you can learn to identify these automatic thoughts for what they are. You can learn to monitor through things like journaling when you apply mind reading how that mind reading can disrupt your automatic thoughts and emotions and lead to bad behaviors. In the future, you can apply these skills to respond calmly when you have a meeting with your boss or any other potentially stressful situation.
So how does depression impact wellness with negative automatic thoughts alone? These types of negative automatic thoughts can spread throughout all areas of your life and result in bad behavior.
- Negative automatic thoughts can perpetuate feelings of low self-esteem.
- Negative thoughts can impact your relationships with other people, resulting in diminished interactions, a lack of intimacy, or a complete breakdown of your relationships.
- You might struggle with apathy toward responsibilities. This can mean being regularly late or not showing up to work at all, not completing personal responsibilities for those you love or yourself, like paying bills or picking up children from school.
But how does depression impact wellness with bad behaviors? Eventually, you run the risk of trying to suppress or manage symptoms through self-medication. Self-medication usually involves drugs and alcohol and can lead to an addiction.
How Does Depression Impact Wellness?
Depression doesn’t just affect your mental health. Studies indicate that depression can impact your physical wellness too.
- Depression can increase your risk of a heart attack.
- Depression causes your blood vessels to constrict, which increases your risk of other cardiovascular diseases.
- You are more likely to experience headaches, aches, and pains with depression. Moreover, pain medication is typically ineffective at treating this level of pain sensitivity because of its link to your mental health.
- Depression often results in weight fluctuations, leading to stomach aches, obesity-related illnesses, and nutritional deficiencies.
- Depression weakens your immune system. The longer you go without proper treatment, the more susceptible you are to short-term issues like the common cold and the flu or long-term illnesses like cardiovascular disease.
- Ongoing depression can deplete your energy levels, leading to a lack of exercise, poor immune health, increased fatigue, sleep problems, and lower metabolic rates.
Your depression and mental wellness are significant. You can protect your mental health with proper treatment.
Water Gap Wellness Center Can Help You Overcome Depression
Water Gap Wellness Center is a mental health treatment center that can customize your recovery plan. Water Gap Wellness Center can help you with depression and mental well-being. We offer partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient programs in addition to our traditional outpatient treatment. At our facility, you can participate in one-on-one therapy sessions, daily group therapy sessions, and recreational activities throughout the span of your treatment. Our seasoned mental health professionals work hard to ensure you get the help you need when you need it.
Reach out to Water Gap Wellness Center today to get individual depression treatment near New York.